Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Hall Chronicle
Well, I'm back from taking Sam to the dentist. The dentist wants so see me and as soon as I muster the courage, I'll get the work done he's recommended. Being a coward at heart and admitting as much to every dentist I've ever visited, I have to say it is not my favorite chair to sit in. But better there than in a chair on the witness stand! And speaking of witness chairs reminds one of the judicial system and that reminds me of the Prison Ministry I have.
Generally, when at home, I go at least once a month with fellow SIMer, Earl Day, to the prison. We have no way of taking musical instruments into the prison, so Earl takes a tape recorder with recordings of well known hymns sung by the late SIM Missionary George Beacham. So, we get by with that. Then I do the preaching. We have two services on a Sunday morning, one with the women prisoners and then one with the men. About 12 to 15 women attend and about 20 to 40 men attend. They are expected to go back to the cell block immediately after the service and there is a guard making sure they do. Hence, there is no opportunity of any one-on-one counseling. We trust that the Holy Spirit will use God's Word to bring about conviction and conversion.
Our next service is coming up this Sunday, May 28th.
Right now I'm busy writing articles that will appear in the next issue of the Touchstone Magazine of Davis College, Johnson City, N. Y. I am the founding editor of this magazine that began 20 years ago. I serve today as the Managing Editor and our daughter, Natalie G. Wilkins is the editor. Normally she does most of the heavy lifting, but asked me to take over for this issue. Anyone reading this blog who would like to subscribe to this magazine "of information, inspiration, and Christian thought" may do so by contacting: touchstone@davisny.edu
The mailing list manager, Sharon O'Connor will be happy to add you to the list of subscribers. There is absolutely no cost and you will not be solicited for funds. Davis College is a college of Bible and Ministry and has operated continuously for 106 years training men and women for ministry. Well known graduates include Woodrow M. Kroll (Back to The Bible), Ron Hawkins, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences of Liberty University, and many others. Davis College was formerly known as Practical Bible College and before that as Practical Bible Training School. The name "Davis" is for the founder, Dr. John A. Davis. He was trained as an evangelist by D. L. Moody. His honorary D. D. degree was from Taylor University. So that gives you a bit of an idea as to the kind of college it is. Betty and I served there for 11 years and after retiring, I went back for two six month periods to help the college achieve Middle States regional accreditation.

1 Comments:

At 9:17 PM, Blogger Corey Adams said...

Glad you are working on the Touchstone there Dr. Hall. I am looking forward to it when it comes out. God Bless.

Corey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home