Thursday, June 01, 2006

Hall Chronicle
Since it is the first day of June, perhaps I should bring this blogspot up to date. As you the readers will note, I've been successful in placing a photo into the text. It is not that I'm clever at doing these things, it is that I have clever children who guide me step by step. Thanks Hannatu and Dusty-Penguin. This photo of Betty and me was taken a couple of years ago at my Aunt Jeanette Hausser's 90th Birthday Celebration where I served as MC. Why me? Well, that's the question I asked of my cousin, Becky. Her reply was, "The Matriarch of the family has spoken!"
Just a thought that came to me yesterday as I led Wednesday's session in "The Ten Days of Prayer" leading up to Pentecost (50th after Passover). We were discussing the CALL of God...His Call to we poor sinner through His Word, the Bible, effectuated by the Holy Spirit and then His Call to us, His children, to serve Him. Our discussion led us to consider those who've gone to dark and distant and lonely and hostile places on this planet to carry the "good news", the Gospel. Upon arriving many of these intrepid pioneers have found not only sinners needing to be saved, but people who are not just illiterate, but have a language that has not been decoded and put into writing. So these people, these missionaries who have come from the most ordinary and humblest of circumstances and, for the most part, without any distinguishing academic or intellectual achievements have taken on the work of linguists and translators and have put God's Word into the language of the people to whom they have gone. And, I ask, is this not a remarkable feat? Where did such enormous talent, yes, let me call it what it actually is, genius, come from, not to speak of their dedication and commitment to completing the task? Well, you say, it came from God, of course. And then I ask, would they have had this ability, this genius, had they not answered the dual call of God? I will answer this for you. Yes, but it would never, in all liklihood, have been discovered. It would have lain latent within them. Going to a foreign mission field did not create the aspect of genius they displayed. It was there all the time. It was the willing and positive response to God's CALL and to His will, it was the need their situation thrust upon them, that brought out what was within all of the time. And this goes not just for those who have put God's Word into writing, it goes for everything we do for Him. He takes the unnoticed, the unlettered, the ordinary peasant classes of this world to serve him in ways that are most remarkable. How sad when God calls men and women, boys and girls to salvation, and they reject His call. How sad when His children refuse to obey His call to service and spend their lives puttering about with mundane things when God intends something for them that in their wildest dreams they never could have envisioned. And that, dear ones, is the thought for the day.

4 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Blogger Hannatu said...

Wow! I never thought of it that way. All I know is that when people tell me I've sacrificed so much to go to Niger, I don't feel like I've sacrificed at all. Sure, I've given up a life of ease in America, but I've gained so much more. When they say they could never do it, I think, yes you could, because I'm nobody special and I've done it. I love this quotations by David Livingstone: " “Forbid that we should ever consider the holding of a commission from the King of kings as a sacrifice, so long as other men esteem the service of an earthly government as an honour. I am a missionary, heart and soul. God himself had an only Son and he was a missionary and a physician. A poor, poor imitation I am, or wish to be, but in this service I hope to live. In it I wish to die. I still prefer poverty and missions service to riches and ease. This is my choice.”

“Lord, send me anywhere, only go with me.
Lay any burden on me, only sustain me.
Sever any tie but the tie that binds me to Thyself.”

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Corey Adams said...

Nice prayer there hannatu: “Lord, send me anywhere, only go with me.Lay any burden on me, only sustain me.Sever any tie but the tie that binds me to Thyself.”

My friend Grace Fabian had a similar prayer in her Bible before she went to PNG.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Dusty Penguin said...

A very interesting thought that there are many talents and abilities within us that are brought out and transformed into great things when we respond in obedience to God's call in our life. Also, what a beautiful quote by David Livingstone, Nancy. Where did you read it?

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Hannatu said...

I don't remember where I read it! I know it was during my devotional time in Niger and I loved it so much I wrote it on a piece of paper and stuck it in my Bible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home